I’ve been on Instagram for about a year now, ostensibly to take photos of interesting things in Washington, DC and the surrounding areas.
I’ve been extremely poor at dropping photos of the places I’ve traveled to. You know, to satisfy your inquisitive pleasures. Or at least contribute to the zeitgeist of the day!
Consider this a course correction. Here is an assortment of still frames from my recent jaunt to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and a weekend on the island of Zanzibar.
Hotel views in Dar es Salaam
If you find yourself in Manila, rather than hit up all the shopping malls (it’s pretty much the thing to do for locals) visit Corregidor Island instead.
It’s a day-long journey (but you can stay the night too) taking a ferry across Manila Bay and back.
Corregidor Island (also called Fort Mills) was General MacArthur’s headquarters during World War II and the place he snuck out of the Philippines in 1942. It was the last bastion of defense of the Philippines and the US forces before Japan conquered the islands. But the defense lasted for over 5 months, severely altering Japan’s plans for conquering the rest of the Pacific.
The island (about 2 miles long and shaped like a tadpole) is covered in crumbling military barracks and installations (and a movie theater!). It also has hundreds of tunnels and fortifications, one of which – the Malinta Tunnel – housed all the people living on the island during the Japanese invasion. There are 24 branching tunnels (called laterals) off the main tunnel and additionally a major barracks and a military hospital (see the map below).
Here are a few photos…
An old battery.
Super selfie situation.
Make America great again! In the form of photos. And by not voting for Trump!
I haven’t been writing much here on A Random Journey in 2016. Feel free to slap me around a little.
Yet, I have been writing, don’t worry, just more on the blog Parklife DC, about happenings in Washington, D.C. Go have a look see, I’ll be here when you get back. For example, things about beer and breweries or concert reviews.
Maybe I’ve forgotten what it means to write/post here. What does Random represent now? The future is still new and bold, we’ll find out.
Since I’ve failed to post my monthly Five Random Photos all year, let’s get frisky. How many photos from 2016 so far should I post? 1000? 50? 10? Yes, zero is an acceptable answer, but too late, I already did not go with that number.
Prepare to get assaulted by blog posts. So much useless (and timely) end-of-year content to share, so little time!
So let’s recap. My goal in December was to complete a random assortment of leisurely pursuits of my own devising. Mostly while on a holiday-type vacation in Washington state.
I dug in and really went full half-assed at the task, but like all things of piddling consequence, I amazed myself with a 85% success rate! Parade worthy?
Let’s have a gander at what transpired. (Your cue to bolt.)
Goal for December: Do all 13 items (for luck) on my specially curated To Do List.
- Go skiing – Last year I hurt my back, so did not get to ski. This year that situation is rectified. Result: I hit the slopes at Crystal Mountain! I did not slide all the way down a black diamond slope! Where did you hear that rumor?
- Attend three Seattle Seahawks games – Boom! One in Baltimore and two in Seattle. Result: Boom! Boom! Boom! They won two and lost one.
- Visit Portland, OR – I hear they could really use a force like me. Result: Done. A quick and dirty drive-by for lunch.
- Experience Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Maybe even up to five times if it’s good… Result: The Force is with me.
- Visit two new breweries – There are so many new ones, so let’s get it on! Result: Yes, I went to 7 Seas Brewery (Gig Harbor, WA) and Fremont Brewery (Seattle, WA).
- Eat a Dick’s Drive-In (Seattle) Deluxe burger – This will go on every future To Do List forever and ever. Result: Eaten deluxedly.
- Enter a cabin – Preferably one that we rent, but I’m not adverse to a little B&E if that’s what it takes. Result: True. It was called ‘Sweet Dreams’.
- Try 12 new beers – Burp. Result: Of course. I lost count, but I’m sure the final number of beers I tried was impressive.
- Hike a hike – I need to get outside! Result: I did a short meander about Clark’s Creek Park in Puyallup.
- Eat at one of Seattle’s best restaurants – According to this list here or even this one here. Result: Did not!
- See Book of Mormon – Want to. Will try. Result: Nope!
- Attend and write-up two concerts – Minimum. Result: Done! I reviewed The Arcs (a side-project of Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys) (read about it here) and Des Ark (read about it here).
- Wild Card – Something fun or dumb, that I can’t think of now. Result: One day we decided to drive to Portland, hang for a hot minute, then drive home. Dumb but typical. We used to do that often when there was a Chick-fil-A at the Lloyd Center. But it’s been gone a long time. Yes, this is different from #3 above. No fact checking allowed.